CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A Charlotte man faces murder charges after the 2-year-old boy he is accused of abusing died.
Police said Christopher Sims abused his girlfriend’s son, A'dan Blackmon, so badly that the boy had to be hospitalized and could not breathe on his own.
Blackmon died from his injuries on June 9.
Officers were called to Carolinas Medical Center around 7 p.m. Wednesday after hospital staff reported that they were treating a 2-year-old infant that was suffering from several injuries, including a traumatic brain injury.
Doctors told police that the boy’s injuries were life-threatening and that he was unable to breathe on his own.
After detectives interviewed the child’s mother and her boyfriend, Sims, they learned that the boy was alone in the care of Sims when the injuries happened.
Sims was initially arrested and charged with felony child abuse inflicting serious injury but those charges were upgraded to murder. He will face a judge Friday.
The investigation is ongoing.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Fight over woman led to man's shooting death in Badin, police say
- Man charged with murder after toddler he's accused of abusing, dies
- MUST SEE: NC woman catches 6-foot snake in living room with pillowcase
- Husband killed wife by pouring alcohol on her, setting fire, police say
- Woman taken into custody after bicyclist hit by car in north Charlotte
- WATCH: Keith Monday's weekend forecast outlook
Cox Media Group