CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Lindsay Wetzel and Deborah Rivera say they went to an open house in west Charlotte in 2017. The developer, Keyo Tiny House, was planning an entire community of tiny houses, called Keyo Park West. They say they each put down $4,000.
Rivera says she was supposed to move in January 2018. Wetzel says she was supposed to move in a few months later, May 2018. Both say Keyo never built the houses and gave them the runaround.
"It was just a lot of different excuses," Wetzel said.
They say Keyo told them they could switch to its other project. That one was in Matthews, called Keyo Park East.
Wetzel said no. Rivera said yes.
But, that project didn't happen either. The land isn't even cleared.
As Action 9's Jason Stoogenke reported last week, he checked with the Town of Matthews. The town told Jason Keyo isn't even allowed to break ground yet, that it still has fees, reviews, and at least one permit to take care of first.
"And every month, I would get another promise that they were going to break ground, middle of the month, end of the month, 'We're going to break ground on this day, on this day,'" Rivera said.
Wetzel demanded money back. But, she said, she still hasn't seen any refund.
Now both are suing Keyo and its owner, Kelvin Young.
"I'll be happy if it stops him from doing this to anybody else," Rivera said.
They're also suing a well-known real estate company in town, Savvy and Company. The lawsuits say that business was closely tied to the advertising and marketing of the tiny houses.
Action 9 emailed Young, his lawyer, and Savvy and Company Friday to get their sides of the story. They have not responded back to comment.
© 2020 Cox Media Group