BEAUFORT COUNTY, S.C. — A judge sentenced convicted murderer and disgraced lawyer Alex Murdaugh to 27 years in prison financial crimes on Tuesday, WCIV reports.
Murdaugh pleaded guilty to stealing money from his clients and law firm for a decade.
He was originally charged with 101 financial crimes, but those were knocked down to 22 crimes as part of the plea deal.
Murdaugh is already serving a double life sentence for killing his wife and son. His lawyers are currently trying to overturn that sentence.
On Tuesday, Murdaugh was sentenced in South Carolina court.
According to WCIV, the recommended sentence was 27 years with 85% time served, meaning Murdaugh would serve about 22 years in prison for the crimes.
- Alex Murdaugh to plead guilty in theft case. It would be the first time he admits to a crime
- Alex Murdaugh’s friend gets almost 4 years in prison for helping steal from his dead maid’s family
- Convicted murderer Alex Murdaugh faces new tax evasion charges
- Alex Murdaugh trial: Disgraced attorney sentenced to two life terms for murder of wife, son
- Alex Murdaugh trial: Jury finds attorney guilty of murder of wife, son
(WATCH RELATED: Alex Murdaugh’s request for new trial hearing approved by judge)
©2023 Cox Media Group