BANNER ELK, N.C. - Officials announced Sunday morning that Banner Elk's Woolly Worm Festival has been canceled after overnight weather caused damage to the area.
The police chief told Channel 9's Dave Faherty strong winds overnight destroyed several of the tents.
The festival is one of the biggest attractions during the fall season and typically brings thousands of people to Avery County each year.
The famed festival was celebrating its 41st year over the weekend and the last day was scheduled for Sunday.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 30 hurt after floor collapses at Clemson apartment complex, police say
- Banner Elk's famed Woolly Worm Festival canceled after overnight wind damage
- RAE CARRUTH RELEASE: Former Panther Carruth spends final weekend in prison
- WATCH: Jaclyn Shearer's Sunday forecast outlook
- Silver Alert issued for missing Statesville man with cognitive impairment
© 2019 Cox Media Group.