CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A new bill that would terminate the Interstate 77 toll lane project will be introduced Wednesday in the North Carolina House.
The bill was filed Tuesday and specifically mentioned stopping construction in Mecklenburg and Iredell counties.
It also called for the Department of Transportation to pay for penalties after the project's contract is canceled.
Bike lanes and sidewalk work will continue this month on the Griffith Street Bridge, near exit 30.
Bridge widening over Lake Norman, north of exit 33, is also taking shape, and asphalt operations are making progress between the Stumptown Road overpass in Huntersville and exit 28.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Women to demonstrate by staying home from work Wednesday
- Man in NC accused of beheading his mother in country illegally, ICE says
- Sheriff: Woman dead, boyfriend shot in face in Catawba County
- WATCH: April the giraffe to give birth soon at Animal Adventure Park
- 9-year-old female giraffe dies after tragic accident at NC Zoo
Cox Media Group