CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A water main break Friday afternoon in north Charlotte has shut down a busy road, which is expected to stay closed overnight, Charlotte Water officials tweeted.
The break happened on West Craighead Road between North Graham and North Tryon streets.
Crews told Channel 9 an 8-inch pipe broke under the road during even rush hour Friday. They have the water turned off and hope to have the road back open Saturday morning.
Use Atando Avenue as an alternate route. Police said you can also use North Tryon or North Graham streets as alternate routes.
Return to this story for updates.
#clttraffic - crews responding to a water main break on W. Craighead Road (1400 block) between N. Graham Street and N. Tryon Street. Road closed through Friday night. Use Atando Avenue as an alternate route. pic.twitter.com/iM0S0YEIZH— Charlotte Water (@CLTWater) October 18, 2019
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Mom charged with murder after newborn baby found in trash bag in closet
- 102 pounds of marijuana valued at $204K seized in Rowan County
- Autopsy shows NC district court judge died of fentanyl, heroin overdose
- Charlotte Fire Department investigating second deadly house fire in 8 hours
- Pilot killed when helicopter hits power lines while crop dusting
© 2019 Cox Media Group.