CABARRUS COUNTY, N.C. — Several local school districts have canceled prom for a second straight year because of the coronavirus pandemic, but Channel 9 anchor Susanna Black found out that some Cabarrus County parents are working to rescue the special night.
Cabarrus County students thought they wouldn’t have a prom after the school district canceled the dances.
But thanks to some quick work from a county commissioner and the community, nearly every school will be able to have one -- at the City Club at Gibson Mill.
Commissioner Barbara Strang said she took the lead on organizing alternative proms once upset parents began calling her.
Within a day, Strang booked the venue and had a team of more than 50 parents getting the word out. She said prom is a rite of passage, and she is happy high school seniors will get to experience it.
“I think the kids deserve this” Strang told Channel 9. “They’ve had a really rough year and not being able to socialize with their friends at all, being able to talk and have a good time with them, I think this is going to be wonderful for them and I can’t wait to see it all play out.”
>> Susanna will walk you through the steps Strang is taking to make sure COVID-19 safety measures are in place and what the school system has to say about the plans, on Channel 9 starting at 5 p.m.
Cabarrus County Schools cancels prom, other dances amid ongoing pandemic
A blow to high school students in Cabarrus County -- the district is canceling prom and other school dances this spring.
District leaders announced last Monday night that after “careful consideration, thoughtful deliberation and due to continued COVID-19 restrictions,” the dances would be canceled.
Cox Mill High School senior A.J. Reid said she is not surprised about the decision.
“I kind of expected it,” Reid said. “I’m not gonna lie. I kind of have been mentally preparing myself not to have anything happen this year.”
Reid is trying to keep a positive attitude.
“So I was kind of, like, well, we don’t have an official prom but if anything, I can look on the bright side and say, ‘I can have my own mini prom with just my boyfriend,’” she said.
She understands why her classmates are disappointed.
“I can see how other people have been waiting for this for years,” Reid said. “Like some people, some seniors last year got to have their junior prom the year prior but, in this case, we didn’t have either.”
Officials said high schools will provide experiences for students, especially seniors that follow health guidelines.
Right now, middle and high schools in the district are operating under Plan B.
Cox Media Group