CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Channel 9 uncovered Tuesday that delays in disability benefits are causing some applicants to become homeless.
Nationally, the average wait time to appeal a disability claim decision is 518 days.
In Charlotte, it’s 605 days.
Officials said the delay in Charlotte happened because they haven’t had enough hearing rooms.
Officials say they're working to create more hearing rooms and conducting more video hearings.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Pastor dies after train collides with truck in Gaston Co.
- After recent attacks, local police receive cards, support from community
- Slain Baton Rouge officer was a man people looked up to, friend tells Channel 9
- 46-year-old woman found dead in Charlotte park near West Charlotte school
- CLICK HERE for more on the RNC
Cox Media Group