CHARLOTTE, N.C. - There have been four homicides in the past week in Charlotte, police said.
They happened in south Charlotte, Ballantyne and in a luxury high-rise apartment in uptown.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have investigated 96 homicides in 2019.
The epidemic of violence is increasing, and earlier this year, a local defense attorney said he knew it was going to happen.
"I think that people working in the legal system knew that this was coming," defense attorney Bill Powers said. "The handwriting was on the wall."
In the video at the top of this web page, learn why the defense attorney predicted the increase in violent crimes.
>> Reading this story in our app? The new "Follow the Lead" feature allows you to tap the blue tag indicated with a '+' to subscribe to alerts on the very latest breaking news updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Parent company of Carowinds fined $42K after worker's hand severed
- Man wanted in girlfriend's murder accused of killing friend in Ballantyne
- Fight caught on camera at Stuart Cramer HS leads to lawsuit one year later
- TRACKING: Several school districts closed as temps crash, snow falls
- Boys who escaped Concord development center could be in Hickory
© 2019 Cox Media Group.