Area toddler killed after truck hits pregnant mom's vehicle

HAMPSTEAD, N.C. — A south Charlotte church community is in mourning after a horrific crash involving several members of one family.

A 2-year-old boy was killed in the crash after a box truck hit the car of a Charlotte worship leader's pregnant wife, North Carolina Highway Patrol troopers said.

The crash happened on the North Carolina coast on Sunday. The family was returning from his sister’s wedding outside of Wilmington.

The box truck hit the wife’s SUV on Sloop Point Loop Road in Hampstead, North Carolina, while she was stopped at a traffic light.

Gentry Eddings, a worship leader at Forest Hill Church in Ballantyne, his pregnant wife, Hadley Eddings, and their 2-year-old son were stopped at a red light near Wilmington  when an 18 wheeler rear ended Hadley Eddings' vehicle just after noon on Highway 17 in Hamstead.

She and her son were traveling in the same car. The boy, who was sitting in the back seat in a car seat, was killed.

Gentry Eddings was in another car and his parents in a third vehicle. They had minor injuries from the crash.

The wife's car then hit her husband's. Troopers said his car ran off the road on the left side and overturned before coming to rest in the median.

The fourth vehicle, which the child's grandparents were driving, was also hit.

The wife, who was 37 weeks pregnant, was rushed to New Hanover Regional Medical Center and underwent a cesarean section. The baby is currently on life support. As of Sunday afternoon, hospital officials said the wife is in good condition.

Channel 9 spoke with Forest Hill Pastor David Chadwick Sunday afternoon. He said doctors are hopeful about the baby's recovery; she or he grabbed onto the finger of grandparents while in the hospital.

The driver of the box truck was charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle.  Troopers will meet with the district attorney's office when their investigation is complete to determine if additional charges will be filed.

Troopers said that US 17 southbound lanes were blocked for about four hours.

Comments on this article