CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A local church could sell its land for affordable housing
The Mayfield Memorial Baptist Church wants to put 50 affordable housing units and a small park on its property on West Sugar Creek Road.
The pastor said it is a way for the church to give back to the community.
“We are not doing this for any reason other than it was a vision of the possible, and we believe strongly it is right,” the Rev. Peter Wherry said.
Some neighbors are opposed to the project because they believe Hidden Valley already has its share of affordable housing.
“We are doing more than most communities while trying to maintain a fragile balance that won't take us back 20 years ago when I first arrived in Charlotte,” resident Charles Aiken said.
The Charlotte City Council will hold a vote on the development in the coming weeks.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Family-owned farm moving to make way for new hospital in south Charlotte
- 8 adults, 3 children displaced after large condo fire in Lake Norman
- Laser pointed at plane approaching Charlotte-Douglas for second time in 4 days
- North Carolina man wanted in wife's death caught in Arizona
- Desperate search continues for fisherman reported missing near Cleveland Co. river
© 2019 Cox Media Group.