CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Detectives with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department are investigating a homicide that happened Monday night in University City, officials said.
The latest homicide marks the 80th in Charlotte in 2017.
[IMAGES: CMPD investigating city's 80th homicide of 2017]
Officers responded to a welfare check call around 11 p.m. in the 500 block of Barton Creek Drive and found a man with an apparent gunshot wound.
The man, identified as 19-year-old Jervais Wan Ya Cain, was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. Police said he was a student at CPCC and may have known his killer.
No arrests have been made and officers were looking for any witnesses.
Channel 9 watched as detectives collected evidence at the scene, and police said the investigation is active and ongoing.
Anyone with information is asked to call 704-432-TIPS and speak directly to a Homicide Unit Detective. The public can also call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this developing story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Neighbors told to stay inside after suspicious package found in mailbox
- New letter from infamous hijacker D.B. Cooper leads to accusations of FBI cover-up
- CMPD identifies 19-year-old victim in Charlotte's 80th homicide of 2017
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- Passenger high on 'loveboat' shoots, kills driver on interstate, police say
- What became of Charles Manson's 'family'? A look at the killers' lives 48 years later
Cox Media Group