CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte-Mecklenburg police identified the driver who was killed in a suspected drunk driving crash Thursday night near NoDa.
Officers were called to crash around 7:30 p.m. on Matheson Avenue at Clemson Avenue.
They said the driver of the Chevrolet Impala, 22-year-old Dayton Dwy, was driving on Clemson Avenue when he ran a stop sign, pulled onto Matheson Avenue, and was hit in the driver's door by a Ford F650 truck.
Paramedics pronounced Dwy dead at the scene.
Investigators said it appears that speed, failing to stop for a stop sign and alcohol are factors in the deadly crash. They also said Dwy was not wearing a seatbelt.
The driver of the truck, Jeb Stuart, was taken to the hospital with a minor injury. Investigators said Stuart was wearing a seatbelt, he wasn't speeding, and he wasn't intoxicated.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD: Drunk driver killed after speeding, running stop sign near NoDa
- Toys 'R' Us considers closing U.S. stores: reports
- VIDEO: Ex-Asheville officer charged after beating alleged jaywalker
- WATCH: Vicki Graf's Friday forecast outlook
- Huntersville man held on $1 million bond after alleged school threat
Cox Media Group