CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police are investigating a homicide after a man was shot to death overnight in northwest Charlotte.
Officers were called to the 4400 block of Ridgevalley Drive, near Freedom Drive, around midnight and found 41-year-old Donnell Drakeford suffering from a gunshot wound.
Paramedics pronounced him dead on the scene.
Police were checking with neighbors to find any possible witnesses and Channel 9 was told Drakeford was not from the neighborhood.
We're following a @CMPD murder investigation on Ridgevalley in NW Charlotte. We'll have details on @wsoctv #Daybreak pic.twitter.com/L0PnXNfymh— Blaine Tolison (@BTolisonWSOC9) July 13, 2016
One neighbor that Eyewitness News spoke with said they heard the gunshots.
"I was in the house and I heard about seven, eight gunshots and I start to come outside, but I figured there was somebody shooting," he said.
No arrests have been made and anyone with information about the crime is asked to call 704-432-TIPS.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Officer pays couple's tab after they refuse to sit next to him
- Deputies say they were heckled at Shelby Zaxby's; franchise owner speaks out
- Former firefighter sentenced for stealing from Burned Children's fund, church
- CMPD looking for gunman after man shot, killed in northwest Charlotte
- Teen babysitter accused of putting 3-year-old in washer, dryer
Cox Media Group