CHARLOTTE, N.C. - At first it sounded credible—an elite sports car stolen at gunpoint and wrecked after a brief, wild ride.
The victim, who is white, told police two black men had threatened him at gunpoint in the parking lot of the Uptown Cabaret on East Morehead Street just after 2 Monday morning.
But as police began to look around the edges, they noticed some troubling details—the wreck was just several blocks away from the victim’s home, where police say the victim had called to report the carjacking.
The police report also notes that the victim had been using alcohol, and a police source says that surveillance cameras show two white men and a white woman—not two black men—getting out of the car after the wreck and walking away.
Eyewitness News tried to contact the alleged victim of the carjacking, but no one answered the door at his home, and he did not return a phone message.
Police say they are also interested in asking him more questions, but have not been able to reach him.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Troopers: Man dies after getting out of car on flooded road
- Friends tried to save 8-year-old who drowned after falling through ice-covered pond
- Maserati carjacked from strip club found crashed, abandoned
- NC group plans to file ethics complaint against McCrory
- Troopers: 1 rescued after driving car into Stanly Co. creek