CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Drivers are frustrated with all the construction on Independence Boulevard, as well as the crashes it’s causing.
Construction of a $16.3 million bridge improvement project on the John Belk Freeway has been causing congestion issues and accidents.
Since the start of construction, that stretch of the project has had more than 33 wrecks in the constructions zone during the morning commute, most of which were minor fender-benders, but created major delays.
Channel 9 is waiting to hear from the NCDOT on whether that section of the bridge improvement project will wrap up at the end of the week.
Even when the part of the construction clears, crews will go to the next phase, which will move the barrier walls further down the inner loop of the John Belk Freeway to work on additional bridges until everything is finished in July near the I-77 interchange.
Congestion issues will continue on I-277 and on Independence Boulevard through the duration of the project.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 3 Gastonia children left home alone escape fire thanks to smoke detector
- 'Hero' volunteer firefighter, 72, saves Richmond Co. girl from horrific dog attack
- Pair charged in connection with Charlotte Christmas Eve bank robbery
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Wednesday morning forecast
- Volunteer coach at Rock Hill HS charged with sexual battery against student
© 2019 Cox Media Group.