• Man recovering after bit by copperhead at Denver Lowe's

    By: Joe Bruno

    Updated:

    DENVER, N.C. - An Iron Station man is recovering in the hospital after being bitten by a 4-and-a-half foot copperhead snake at the Lowe's Home Improvement store in Denver, North Carolina, on Monday.

    Channel 9 spoke to the man's wife, who didn't want the family's last name used.

    IMAGES: Man bitten by snake while shopping at Lowe's Home Improvement

    "I know he's in a lot of pain," Julie said. "It has been rough. I have been worried."

    LISTEN: 911 call from Lowe's after customer bit by snake

    Julie said she didn't know her husband was shopping at Lowe's that day.

    "It was going to be a surprise," Julie said.

    Bill was shopping for flowers to surprise Julie when the venomous snake bit him. The bite caused massive swelling and pain to his whole body.

    He was rushed to Novant Huntersville, injected with anti-venom and is currently in the intensive care unit.

    some text

    "I think it's crazy," Julie said. "I think it could have been avoided."

    A spokesperson for Lowe's told Channel 9 the company is trying to figure out how the snake made it on their property. The bite happened in the outdoor garden area and a private company searched the building to make sure there were no more snakes.

    Julie wants Lowe's to spray snake repellent near the flowers and check for snakes as part of the daily routine. She is also warning others to be aware of their surroundings when shopping for plants.

    Doctors said Bill will be in pain for a while, but is expected to be OK.

    “We like to be able to see the snake but I would encourage people not to expose themselves to the snake unless they are absolutely sure it is dead," Dr. Tommy Mason, an emergency physician at Novant Huntersville, said.

    Lowe's employees killed the snake with a shovel.

    "I told him, ‘If you want me to, I could have it stuffed for you,’" Julie said. "I think he might stick with chocolates from now on and not flowers."

    Doctors said if someone gets bit, don’t bring the snake to the hospital, but instead, try to safely take a photo of it so they can provide the proper treatment.

    Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:

    Next Up: