LINCOLN COUNTY, N.C. - Police had to close Highway 73 in both directions early Wednesday in Lincoln County after a fatal crash involving a motorcycle and downed power lines.
The crash happened around 2 a.m. between Club Drive and Killian Farm Road.
Investigators said 24-year-old Jacob Wayne Chase was driving west on a 2002 Harley Davidson motorcycle when he hit a tree that had fallen into the road.
Troopers said he was thrown from the bike and died at the scene.
The highway was blocked near Treetops Drive and Channel 9 crews could see the badly damaged motorcycle in the road.
Investigators said the downed tree also brought down some power lines.
About 750 people were without power but Duke Energy was able to restore all power before noon.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 1 dead, 3 others hospitalized in shooting at uptown apartment building
- Troopers: Wrong-way driver killed on I-485 in west Charlotte
- Fatal crash involving motorcycle blocks Highway 73 in Lincoln County
- FORECAST: Showers return, bringing unseasonably cool temps
- Man missing for two days found in Charlotte hospital's trauma unit
© 2019 Cox Media Group.