Pamela Harmon said she doesn't get to go on vacation very often because her husband is recovering from a broken back and can't travel.
So, when she got a chance to go on a Carnival cruise with a friend, she took it.
She said the trip cost each of them about $800.
"We didn't have a clean cabin. Our beds were not made. No air conditioning. No electricity in the bathroom. We asked several times to have it corrected. It took them two days to get us electricity in the bathroom. We never got air conditioning the whole cruise," Harmon said. "It was really hot."
She said the crew only gave her a portable fan.
"It helped to keep some air moving, but it was still hot," she said.
When she got back home, Harmon said she complained to Carnival.
"They said, 'Well, you know, we're sorry it didn't happen to your liking. There's nothing we can do,'" Harmon said.
So she emailed Action 9's Jason Stoogenke, saying she didn't feel she was entitled to a full refund, just something.
"I feel like I took the cruise, but I don't feel like I got my money's worth," she said.
Action 9 emailed Carnival. The cruise line didn't address Harmon's complaints about cleanliness, electricity or the air conditioning specifically but said it would give her $300 back as a "gesture of goodwill."
"Once I contacted you folks, it was like 24 hours. It was just like add water and stir. My problem was solved," Harmon told Stoogenke.
Tips for anyone who has a problem with lost luggage, a cabin, noisy neighbors, the food or excursions during a cruise:
- Always start by asking the crew for help.
- If they can't fix the problem right away, don't be afraid to ask for freebies.
- If you end up having to deal with the issues when you get back, just make sure you take good notes and contact Action 9 if you're not getting anywhere.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Researchers say 13-foot great white shark bitten by even bigger shark
- NASCAR Xfinity Series team hauler crashes on I-40, 2 hurt
- Woman found dead at west Charlotte shoe store, investigation underway
- FORECAST: Morning temps in 40s around metro, sub-freezing in high country
- 'I feel betrayed': Mom says assistant principal preyed on her son for sex
© 2019 Cox Media Group.