Family of drowned NC lifeguard files lawsuit against 2 companies

RALEIGH, N.C. — The family of a North Carolina lifeguard who drowned at a community pool last year is suing two companies.

Rachel Rosoff's family said shoddy repair work by those companies led to the teenager's death.

Rosoff was shocked in an apartment pool in Raleigh in September. The shock didn't kill her, but she fell into the pool, couldn't move, and drowned.

Rosoff's family said that Williams Electric Motor Repair performed repair work on the pool in 2011, but didn't replace faulty wiring.

The suit also says that Future Connections Electrical did not report safety hazards, and improperly fixed the pump's motor.

"They knew or discovered conditions that were dangerous at this pool, and they didn't correct them,” said Rossoff family attorney David Kirby.

Beyond the lawsuit, the Rosoffs are actively lobbying the state legislature for a new law requiring annual electrical inspections of North Carolina pools.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com: