HORRY COUNTY, S.C. - Police said they are searching for a man who shot and killed a father and son after robbing a bingo hall in South Carolina Friday night, WPDE reported.
“Steve” Johnson, Sr., 73, and Stephen ‘Sparky” Johnson, Jr., 45, were the owners of Waccamaw bingo hall outside Myrtle Beach, according to officers.
Officials said people were inside playing at 9:30 p.m. when the deadly robbery happened.
Heather York, a witness, told our partners at WPDE that a man with a bandanna covering his face ran inside, went for the money and then the owner tried to tackle to the robber.
York said she ran outside to escape the gunfire, but ran back in to help one of the men who was shot.
"He had a gunshot in his chest. I just ran up to him and just put as much pressure on it as I could until the EMTs got there," York said.
Despite her efforts, the father and son died.
York said the son ran behind the counter where his dad was, trying to save him while another customer tackled the shooter, but he got away.
Police are still looking for the suspect.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com
- Three people dead after car crash in York County, troopers say
- FBI-wanted 'Pink Lady Bandit' robs bank in Hamlet, officials say
- 'You are not alone': Woman spreads message of hope after SWAT situation ends in tragedy
- CMPD: Repeat offender charged in attempted robbery of Epicenter Insomnia Cookies
- FORECAST: Warm temps, atypical low July humidity continues Sunday
© 2019 Cox Media Group.