MECKLENBURG COUNTY — You may turn your heater way up while you sleep to keep you warm, but not all families have that luxury. Some are struggling to keep the lights on, and they are sacrificing the warmth in the process.
The Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services is offering help to residents this winter, so they won’t have to choose between heating their homes and buying other necessities.
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a federally funded program that provides a one-time payment to the utility company or heating vendor of an eligible household to offset the high cost of heating during the cold weather months.
Depending on the household’s primary heating source, the payment will be $300, $400 or $500.
Household eligibility requirements:
- At least one eligible U.S. citizen or legal resident.
- Cash resources at or below $2,250.
- Responsible for heating bill.
- Income at or below 130% of the Federal Poverty Limit. Click here to see chart of income guidelines.
- You do not have to be behind on your power or natural gas bill to qualify for assistance.
How to apply:
Download the LIEAP application from the county website mecknc.gov/LIEAP and,
- Mail completed application to 301 Billingsley Road, Charlotte, N.C., 28211
- Email completed application to email@example.com.
- Drop-off completed application at one of these Charlotte DSS locations:
- Wallace Kuralt Building at 301 Billingsley Road
- Community Resource Center at 3205 Freedom Drive, Suite 1000
- Call the DSS Call Center at 704-336-3000 or JUST 1 CALL at 704-432-1111 to complete a telephone application. A LIEAP representative will contact you to begin the interview process.
- Visit the All Access Point at allaccess.mecknc.gov to apply for benefits and submit documents for existing cases.
Households with a person age 60 or older, or someone receiving disability benefits and services through the North Carolina Division of Aging and Adult Services can apply for help covering the cost of heating their homes beginning Dec. 1.
All other households can apply starting Jan. 4 through March 31.
For more information, go to mecknc.gov/LIEAP.
© 2021 Cox Media Group