PIEDMONT, S.C. - A 34-year-old South Carolina man who was engaged to a woman who survived being held captive by a serial killer died over the weekend.
According to the Greenville County coroner, an autopsy revealed that Adam Mayson died at the hospital after going into cardiac arrest while receiving treatment for a stab wound.
The coroner’s office said Mayson stabbed himself at his home on Piedmont Golf Course Road on Saturday and was transported to the hospital, where he died.
Mayson was engaged to Kala Brown, the woman who was held captive by serial killer Todd Kohlhepp and found chained inside a shipping container on Kohlhepp’s former property in Woodruff.
- Body found on SC property where woman was 'chained like a dog'
- Bodies found on suspected serial killer's land identified
- Woman chained in metal container for 2 months sues suspected serial killer
- Accused serial killer built successful SC real-estate firm during crime spree
- Mother of accused SC serial killer speaks about her son, his motives
Brown was rescued from the storage container on Nov. 3, 2016, after she and her boyfriend, Charlie Carver, were reported missing on Aug. 31.
The bodies of Carver, Meagan McCraw Coxie and Johnny Coxie were found on Kohlhepp's property.
Kohlhepp also confessed to a quadruple homicide at a motorcycle store in Spartanburg County in 2003.
Kohlhepp is serving life in prison after pleading guilty to killing seven people.
According to Mayson’s Facebook page, he and Brown announced their engagement on Sept. 11, 2018.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- CMPD: Stabbing may have led to crash, house fire in east Charlotte
- Charlotte region doctors prepare to leave Novant Health two months early
- Fiance of woman held captive by serial killer stabs self to death, coroner says
- FORECAST: Snow, freezing rain to fall in mountains; just rain closer to Charlotte
- Attorney: Panthers seem like 'natural place' for QB Colin Kaepernick
© 2019 Cox Media Group.