OUTER BANKS, N.C. - Planning a trip to the Outer Banks soon? Be sure to keep an eye out for some unwanted guests.
The Cape Lookout National Seashore posted on Facebook Monday about the first Portuguese man-o-war sighting of the season.
Officials said the man-o-war was spotted on the North Core Banks after recent south and east winds blew it to shore.
According to experts, beachgoers should not touch or step on the creatures even if they look dead because stinging cells in the tentacles can still "pack a punch."
If you get stung, you should seek medical attention immediately.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Convicted murderer causes $30K in damage during Sunday church service
- Leaders call for calm after CMPD releases body cam video of deadly shooting
- WATCH: Man eludes police after robbery, assault, chase through Charlotte
- FORECAST: Chilly start but temps will warm under sunny skies
- CMPD: Man led police on chase after firing 20 shots outside strip club
- Recall alert: Chewy Chips Ahoy cookies recalled
© 2019 Cox Media Group.