• Hotels must now have CO detectors, other new laws in effect

    By: Scott Wickersham


    RALEIGH, N.C. -  A new law requiring all hotels to have carbon monoxide detectors takes effect on Tuesday.

    It was created after three people died in a hotel room in Boone because of a carbon monoxide buildup from a pool heater.

    Typically, industries do not like new government requirements that cost them money, but the hotel owners are happy about the new law, saying that the cost is not too high and it makes their customers feel safe.

    "They have got gas dryers back here," said Assistant Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal Randy Fraizer.

    Fraizer let Eyewitness News come along with him on Tuesday as he inspected a hotel in Pineville to make sure it meets the new code.

    Gas-powered clothing dryers could generate carbon monoxide if there is a malfunction.

    "Reading zero right now, should be fine," said Fraizer.

    So they installed a CO detector, according to the new law.

    Upstairs, the rooms also must have a CO detector.

    Quality Suites General Manager Ron Halder said since the tragedy in Boone, guests have been asking questions about carbon monoxide.

    "Is our room over a pool area, is the pool heated and if so, what is it heated by?" said Halder.

    Halder and Charlotte Hotel Association Director Sid Smith both welcome the change.

    "It pays right into what hotels want first anyway -- safety and security for our guests so we have no problem with this law," said Smith.

    Carbon monoxide can be a silent killer.

    "It basically take the oxygen," said Smith, but the new alarms should make a lot of noise if danger appears.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Hotels must now have CO detectors, other new laws in effect