GASTON COUNTY, N.C. - A former wrestling coach convicted of molesting three of his players will spend at least 34 years in prison.
There were lots of tears and raw emotion in the courtroom Tuesday as the jury announced its verdict, finding Scott Goins guilty of 17 of the 20 charges against him.
Goins' wife and sister addressed the court. His wife said it will be very difficult for her to raise their children on her own.
Goins' sister said she still believes her brother is innocent and will continue to stand behind him no matter what.
“We have a six-month-old at home,” Angela said. “It’s going to be really difficult to raise four kids on my own.”
The judge then started the sentencing hearing and in the end decided that Goins will serve at least 34 years and 10 months in prison before he will be eligible for release.
It was good news for the three victims in this case, who said Goins sexually abused them while they were wrestlers at East Gaston High School. One of the victims also addressed the court and said he’s sorry he didn’t come forth sooner.
“I will look back at what my indifference led to, and I will take all steps to make sure I never let it happen again,” one of the accusers said.
Channel 9 spoke with District Attorney Locke Bell after the hearing. He said he hopes Goins dies in prison.
Goins' defense attorney said he already has plans in motion for an appeal.
Eyewitness News will have more details on the case Tuesday night at 10 and 11.
Read our past coverage:
- June 5, 2013: Police: Gaston Co. coach accused of molesting students
- June 6, 2013: 3rd student accuses coach of sexual abuse
- April 1: Judge OKs contact between accused coach's attorney, victims
- July 15: Jury selection starts for former coach accused of sex abuse
- July 18: Witness describes how he says former coach ‘groomed’ him
- July 21: Former wrestler testifies in trial of coach accused of sexual misconduct
- July 22: 2nd accuser testifies against former wrestling coach
- July 23: Third accuser takes stand in former wrestling coach’s trial
- July 25: Accuser said he tried to kill coach charged with sex abuse
- July 28:Defense calls 4 to stand during wrestling coach’s trial
- July 30:5 witnesses take stand in trial of former wrestling coach
- July 31:Wife of former coach accused of sex assault takes stand in trial