CHARLOTTE — Investigators say they have found the likely remains of a Charlotte woman who had been missing for more than a month, and a man accused of killing her is now behind bars.
Floyd Long is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Shaquina Harris, who was reported missing after she was last seen July 2.
Long appeared before a judge Monday, where Judge Roy Wiggins ordered him held in the Mecklenburg County Jail without bond.
According to court documents, investigators began connecting Harris to Long after her cellphone last pinged near his home on Woodford Bridge Drive in north Charlotte.
Detectives said they found Harris’ blood inside Long’s home and in his vehicle. Investigators also interviewed a man who was seen leaving Long’s home in July.
That witness told investigators Long said he had “done something bad.” The witness said Long later asked him to move something inside the home.
When he went inside, he reportedly found Harris lying on a bed, cold to the touch and bleeding from her nose. The witness then left.
Investigators said the witness also told them Long appeared to be “fascinated” with an area off Statesville Road.
A cadaver dog later searched that area and found skeletal remains and some of Harris’ belongings, according to court documents.
The discovery comes after weeks of searching for Harris. Her friends had previously spent time handing out flyers and asking the public for information about where she and her dog might be.
Harris’ friends were in court Monday and described her as an amazing and talented person. They are now planning a balloon release in her honor.
The remains have been described as likely belonging to Harris; the investigation and identification process remain ongoing.
©2026 Cox Media Group





