LINCOLN COUNTY, N.C. - A fire and security protection manufacturer is in the process of shuttering its Lincolnton plant, a move that will eliminate 220 jobs.
Layoffs will start June 7 at the UTC Fire & Security Americas Corp. Inc. facility at 3211 Progress Drive, located about 40 miles northwest of Charlotte.
Last week, Sarah Satkus, the plant’s HR manager notified the North Carolina Department of Commerce that UTC will be out of the building by the end of 2019. She was somewhat vague on the reason for the closure in the company’s Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification to the state.
“This action follows a thorough evaluation of our manufacturing operations and is intended to address the challenges the business faces in a rapidly changing industry,” Satkus says in the letter.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Injured gymnast from Huntersville undergoes surgery on both knees
- Anson County deputy accused of planting drugs as part of revenge plot
- Father charged with murder after boy found dead in Union County home
- TRACKING: Clean up begins as threat of more afternoon storms looms
- 600-pound black bear killed when car slams into it on NC highway
© 2019 Cox Media Group.