WAKE COUNTY, N.C. - A grand jury has indicted McCrae Dowless on more charges in connection with the 9th Congressional District election.
Dowless is facing charges of felony obstruction of justice, perjury, solicitation to commit perjury, conspiracy to obstruct justice and possession of absentee ballot.
According to testimony and other findings detailed at an election board hearing earlier this year, Dowless conducted an illegal "ballot harvesting" operation. He and his assistants are accused of gathering up absentee ballots from voters by offering to put them in the mail.
The Wake County district attorney also announced charges for Lisa Britt, Ginger S. Eason, Woody D. Hester, James Singletary, Jessica Dowless and Kelly Hendrix.
They all turned themselves in Wednesday and are expected to appear in court Monday.
The charges are related to the District 9 election between Republican Mark Harris and Democrat Dan McCready.
Dowless was previously indicted for actions during the 2016 general election and 2018 primary.
The Wake County DA said Tonya Long's charges were submitted to the grand jury in error and will be dismissed.
Check back for updates on this story.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Couple charged in connection with death of 1-year-old in south Charlotte
- Crowd of teens runs amok through Concord Mills, frightening customers, witnesses say
- Man found shot inside car on I-85 ramp in north Charlotte, police say
- FORECAST: Calm start to day before summer storm chances increase
- Human remains discovered at site of weekend fire, CMPD says
© 2019 Cox Media Group.