• Human remains found in south Charlotte house fire identified as missing man

    Updated:

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The discovery of human remains in a July house fire was a sad ending to a missing person case.

    The fire happened on July 27 at a home that was being renovated along Kenley Lane in south Charlotte, according to fire officials.

    [ALSO READ: CFD: 1 hurt in east Charlotte fire caused by water heater malfunction]

    An insurance adjuster found the remains three days later and called 911.

    On Tuesday, police identified the remains as 55-year-old Vernon "Bubba" Walker, who had been missing since July.

    The home, which was under renovations and believed to be uninhabitable, was fully engulfed by flames when firefighters arrived.

    The structure collapsed and was destroyed.

    It took 23 firefighters about 35 minutes to put out the fire.

    Investigators said the scene was not safe for firefighters, and they could only go into the structure after the fire had been put out and up to a certain point, because of the structure's condition.

    Investigators believe no one could have lived in the structure prior to the fire because of the construction that was underway. 

    The structure was incredibly compromised, officials said.

    The cause of the fire has not been determined, and the investigation is ongoing.

    Next Up: