Meck County deputy released from hospital after being shot in northeast Charlotte, authorities say

CHARLOTTE — A Mecklenburg County sheriff’s deputy who was shot in northeast Charlotte Saturday afternoon has been released from the hospital, according to the sheriff.

“It was very emotional, and words cannot express watching my deputy walk out of the hospital today after being there upon his arrival Saturday,” Mecklenburg County Sheriff Garry L. McFadden said. “I’m still extremely thankful to CMPD, MEDIC, Charlotte Fire Department, North Carolina Highway Patrol and the countless agencies and leaders who have reached out. I’m confident that we will get justice because I know and trust the work ethic of my brothers across the street. We are grateful for all of the prayers, thoughts and consideration for Deputy Whyms and MCSO during this time.”

McFadden said the shooting happened shortly before 4 p.m. on North Tryon Street and Salome Church Road, near Interstate 485.

McFadden said Deputy Dijon Whyms was flagged down by a man who said he needed help with his son who may be unstable. While speaking with the man a car drove by and the man said that the driver was his son.

McFadden said Whyms then attempted to conduct a traffic stop on Salome Church Road when the suspect fired multiple shots, hitting Whyms twice in the lower body and three times in the upper body.

McFadden said Whyms then returned fire, hitting the suspect, who was later identified as 23-year-old Aidan Bryant. McFadden said Bryant was then taken to the hospital and is in custody.

“We knew there was some type of confrontation. I don’t know the particulars of that yet, but we will find out,” McFadden said.

McFadden said the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department will be helping the sheriff’s office with the investigation.

McFadden said Whyms was also taken to the hospital, where he had surgery Sunday afternoon.

“He arrived in good condition. He was alert and he was talkative at the time,” McFadden said.

On Monday, the sheriff’s office said Whyms was released from the hospital and is headed home. He is expected to make a full recovery.

“Thank you so much for the outpouring of support for Deputy Whyms and the entire MCSO family during this time,” the sheriff’s office posted on Twitter.

Neighbors in the area of the shooting said it concerned them.

“It’s disturbing because I have children, and they play outside. Or not even play, but come outside. They go to the swimming pool. It’s just disheartening to think it’s unsafe for your children to be outside,” resident Eushika Love said.

Monday, the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office announced that Bryant is still in CMPD custody at Atrium Health.

Officials said he has been served warrants for his arrest. He has been charged with possession of a stolen firearm, assault on a law enforcement officer with a firearm and attempted first-degree murder, according to reports.

Officials said Bryant also has a warrant in connection with an unrelated arrest in Scotland County for larceny of a firearm and possession of a stolen firearm.

Police said Bryant went into the Mid South gun store and pretended to be interested in buying a firearm.

However, instead of buying the 9mm Luger he was holding, police said he ran out of the store with it.

(WATCH BELOW: Man accused in fatal 2020 shooting of Mount Holly police officer facing new charges)