Third person charged in connection with killing of Monroe mother

MONROE, N.C. — A third person has been arrested in connection with the killing of a Monroe mother in front of her kids, officials said.

Kristen Chambers, 30, turned herself in on charges of conspiracy to commit second-degree burglary and accessory after the fact to first-degree murder.

Byron Blair Watkins, 25, and Antwan David Sturdivant, 19, are already behind bars charged with killing Lucero Sosa Capote during a Monroe home invasion last month.

(Watkins, SturdivantChambers)

Officials said Watkins was arrested July 25 by deputies and U.S. marshals in Lexington County after a desperate manhunt.

Investigators said interviews and a confidential source led them to an associate of Watkins. They surrounded a home and Watkins surrendered.

It was earlier that same morning when deputies surrounded a home on Highway 200 and Winterberry Lane in Lancaster County while assisting Monroe police with serving a warrant for Watkins.

From Chopper 9 Skyzoom, we could see police cars and armored vehicles in the area near the house.

"It's kind of secluded in the back, tucked away, and there's a good bit of property around that home," Pete Hovanec, with the city of Monroe, said.

Officers received reports of a possible gunshot and thought Watkins might be inside and armed.

Neighbors on the same street were asked to stay inside.

Austin Saboley left with his family as soon as he saw police cruiser after police cruiser coming in.

"Once I saw five to 10 and building up to 20, I knew it had to have been something more serious. So, I was, like, ‘Let's get out of here.’"

[PAST COVERAGE: 'We want justice': Family remembers mother of 5 killed in home invasion]

Deputies sent a robot to look inside the home, and by early afternoon, they learned Watkins was not there.

There was a woman inside the house when police first arrived to serve the warrant. Police didn't identify her but said she is cooperating with them.

Watkins is one of two suspects in the murder.

Police said the second suspect, Sturdivant, turned himself into Monroe police.

Officers said two masked men broke into a home along Tower Court off West Franklin Street in the early morning hours of July 12.

They said the men were trying to rob the home when they shot and killed Capote.

(Sturdivant, Watkins)

Police said Capote’s five children were inside the home at the time. Two of them suffered minor injuries.

They said Sturdivant is being charged with first-degree murder, first-degree burglary, robbery with a dangerous weapon and assault on a female.

Watkins is being charged with first-degree murder, first-degree burglary, robbery with a dangerous weapon, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, discharging a firearm in an occupied dwelling and assault on a child under 12.

Watkins is being held at the Lexington County Detention Center awaiting extradition to Monroe.

Chambers is being held at the Union County Jail with a bail of $500,000.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the Monroe Police Department at 704-282-4700 or Union County Crime Stoppers at 704-283-5600.