Never underestimate the power of a small town and a grandmother.
Standing in the stadium named for his grandfather, Mount Pleasant High School linebacker/running back Landon Honeycutt thanked his classmates, community and “Grandma Betty” for their support and votes that help him secure the title of Big 22 Player of the Year.
Lots of friends, family, and even the town’s mayor, Del Eudy, cheered as the high school senior accepted the award.
“It’s amazing what a small town like Mount Pleasant can do,” he said.
Watch the video above to see highlights from the Thursday’s presentation ceremony.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'They don't belong here': 911 calls released after video of woman's harassing rant goes viral
- Matthews police to add officers at schools after deadly shooting at Butler HS
- AMTRAK: No injuries reported after train crashes into unoccupied car
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Thursday forecast outlook
- Students to return to Butler HS Thursday after deadly school shooting
© 2019 Cox Media Group.