CHARLOTTE, N.C. - It was an exciting day for a special 8-year-old girl from Winston Salem.
Sophie Carter was diagnosed with Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM) last year and had to spend eight weeks at Levine Children's Hospital in Charlotte last summer.
This summer, she was in Charlotte for a different reason.
The Kids Wish Network, which grants once-in-a-lifetime wishes for children with life-threatening illnesses, treated Sophie and her family to a trip to uptown.
While in the Queen City, Sophie, an aspiring veterinarian, was able to visit the Carolina Raptor Center in Huntersville, a trip that included watching an operation on a bird.
Sophie dreams about how fun it would be to fly with mystical creatures like dragons and unicorns, or even meet a mermaid. Thanks to the Kids Wish Network and Ritz-Carlton, she was able to not just meet a mermaid, but spend Thursday afternoon swimming with one as well.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- WATCH: Pregnant woman runs over suspected thief in NC Walmart parking lot
- High contaminant levels detected in Concord water
- Warrants detail alleged abuse Hailey Burns endured while captive
- Sharks swim within arm's reach of Florida beachgoers
- Drivers' claims denied after car damaged by raised pavement markers
© 2019 Cox Media Group.