NASH COUNTY, N.C. — Governor Roy Cooper got a first-hand look at the damage caused by an EF-3 tornado that hit central North Carolina last week, according to reports from WRAL.
Last Wednesday, an EF-3 tornado with winds up to 150 mph was reported in Rocky Mount, a city on the border of Nash and Edgecombe counties, North Carolina.
It was the first EF-3 tornado to hit the region since 2011 and the first EF-3 tornado to hit the central part of the state in the month of July.
The tornado was on the ground for sixteen and a half miles and injured 16 people, according to reports from WTVD.
Cooper, who visited the area Sunday, told WRAL that he was thankful that the outcome wasn’t worse.
“The number one thing we are deeply grateful for is that no one died during the storm. And in fact, that is a phenomenal occurrence,” Cooper explained.
Cooper also said soon he will have more information about state and federal aid that may be available to storm victims.
VIDEO: Road to recovery: Eastern NC cleans up tornado aftermath
©2023 Cox Media Group