North Carolina man dies during aftermath of Hurricane Irma

EDNEYVILLE, N.C. — Hurricane Irma and its aftermath resulted in one North Carolina death, members of Gov. Roy Cooper’s office said in a news release.

An Edneyville man died Tuesday from carbon monoxide poisoning, a Hendersonville County medical examiner said.

The man was using a generator to power his home after severe weather knocked out electricity in the area.  Local authorities have not yet released the victim’s name.

This is the first death in North Carolina related to Hurricane Irma.

“Kristin and I are saddened by this news and send our deepest sympathies to the victim’s family and friends,” Cooper said.

He encouraged any North Carolinians using generators to be sure to follow all safety guidelines.

“When the power goes out, generators can be a lifesaver, but used without good ventilation generators can be deadly,” Gov. Cooper said.  “If you have a generator, please make sure you operate it safely.”

Generators, gas and charcoal grills and propane stoves should always be used outdoors and away from windows, doors and vents to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Comments on this article