Police identify tire shop employee killed during hours-long standoff in Concord

CONCORD, N.C. — A South Carolina man has been charged with killing a Concord tire shop employee during a four-hour standoff with police and SWAT on Saturday afternoon.

Authorities responded around 11:30 a.m. to the Discount Tire on Dickens Place in Concord after receiving reports of gunshots.

Concord Police told Channel 9 that a man walked into the business, had an argument and then fired shots. Other employees ran to safety when they heard the gunshots, police said.

When officers got to the business, they found the suspect, 39-year-old Jeremy Spann of Lee County, South Carolina, barricaded inside the building with one of the store’s employees.

After several hours, police said they were able to take Spann into custody.

Authorities said that when they went inside the business following the standoff, they found the employee fatally shot. On Monday, police identified the victim as 27-year-old Terence Wallace, of China Grove.

“We need to extend our sympathy for the victim’s family, and for also the family of Discount Tire who experienced this tragic event today,” said Deputy Chief Jimmy Hughes.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Discount Tire thanked Concord police and the other responding agencies for their quick response and support throughout the investigation.

“Words cannot express the loss we are feeling. The entire Discount Tire family mourns the loss as we all work through this together," the statement read.



"It is with a heavy heart we share that on Saturday, November 14, a shooting occurred in our Discount Tire store in Concord, North Carolina, resulting in the loss of one of our Discount Tire family members. The suspect has been arrested and charged.

Words cannot express the loss we are feeling. The entire Discount Tire family mourns this loss as we all work through this together. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of our beloved Discount Tire family member.

There remains an ongoing investigation with the local police department and surrounding agencies. We are indebted to their service, response and support. As this is an ongoing investigation, please contact the Concord Police Department at 704-786-9155 for more information."


Miranda Brafford, who works at a gas station across the street from the tire shop, said it was the longest four hours of her life.

She said she heard gunshots and saw officers swarm the area Saturday morning.

“They came in and told me to get everyone out and shut everything down,” Brafford said. “I was nervous, I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want anything to happen to me.”

Brafford said she rushed to the bathroom and hid there while the standoff was happening. Days later, she told Channel 9 she is still shaken up by the whole thing.

“I’m still kind of scared because I don’t know if it’s ever going to happen again,” Brafford said. “I didn’t think it would and it did.”

Spann was charged with one count of murder and one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He is being held under a $2 million bond.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department SWAT Unit was called to assist Concord Police.

The northbound and southbound ramps at Copperfield Boulevard were closed while officers investigated the scene.

No other information has been released.

This is an ongoing investigation. Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.