KINGS MOUNTAIN, N.C. - Carolina Panthers player Bryan Cox Jr. has been accused of speeding and having marijuana, according to the North Carolina Highway Patrol.
Troopers said they smelled marijuana after initially pulling over Cox, 25, for driving 90 mph in a 65 mph zone Wednesday afternoon.
Officials said Cox was cited for speeding, possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia.
He was stopped along Interstate 85 northbound in Kings Mountain.
Cox is a defensive end with the Panthers. He's the son of Bryan Cox, who played 12 seasons in the NFL and was named All-Pro three times.
The incident came about an hour after the Panthers broke camp at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and players began returning home to Charlotte, North Carolina.
In March, the Panthers announced they would re-sign Cox, who has been with the team since 2017.
Authorities said Cox cooperated with troopers and was just given tickets.
Statement from Panthers:
"The club is aware that Bryan Cox Jr. was cited by law enforcement today. We are in the process of gathering information and have been in contact with the NFL and Bryan. We will have no further comment at this time."
Check back with wsoctv.com for more information.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Officer shoots man at Gastonia Buffalo Wild Wings, police say
- 'She was petrified': Woman attacked by group of riders before fatal dirt bike crash
- Man on run after allegedly killing pregnant woman, abducting children
- FORECAST: Threat of storms not backing off as heat, humidity grip region
- South Carolina deputy caught in child sex sting by his own department
© 2019 Cox Media Group.