CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Just moments after 10 Park Lanes bowling alley closed in south Charlotte, police said a robber with a gun walked in and threatened an employee.
The bowling alley on Montford Drive is open until midnight on weeknights and there are a lot of people typically in the parking lot.
It had just closed for the night Tuesday when police said the suspect walked in.
According to officers, the man threatened the employee with a gun and demanded cash.
Authorities didn’t say how much the man took but charges could include robbery and kidnapping.
The business, 10 Park Lanes, wouldn’t comment on the case Wednesday afternoon, but Channel 9′s Mark Becker spoke with some customers who were caught off guard by the incident.
“I come every Wednesday and I’m not uncomfortable but I don’t come at night either, but I know it’s packed,” said regular customer Liane Ivey.
The bowling crowd was probably gone when the robbery happened, but there were likely plenty of people at the nearby bars and restaurants that stay open late.
Kara Bannon lives nearby and said she used to work at a restaurant in the area. She said she’s still comfortable there.
“I mean, I feel very safe here. I’m here all the time, so I have no problem walking up and down the block at one in the morning,” said Bannon.
Police said there are cameras at 10 Park Lanes that may have captured the robbery. They’re waiting to see if the video will help them identify the suspect.
Officers said they believe the man was working alone.
Check back with wsoctv.com for updates.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Mom of missing baby last seen in December arrested for filing false police report
- Superintendent says investigation launched over controversial survey given to CMS students
- Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof staged death row hunger strike
- ‘We lost a brother’: South Carolina deputy fatally shot serving eviction notice
- 'A slap in the face’: Families livid after CMS scales back 3 high school projects from 2017 bond
© 2020 Cox Media Group