NORTH CAROLINA — Frigid morning temperatures fittingly greeted national supermarket chain Publix as it held groundbreaking ceremonies for its 1.8-million-square-foot refrigerated and frozen foods distribution center in eastern Greensboro.
While the weather was nothing new to most of the more than 100 in attendance Thursday, the central Florida-based executive team accustomed to warmer climes held the event inside a heated tent, turning ceremonial dirt in a large, signature green trough as earth-moving equipment worked elsewhere on the 360-acre project.
Site work has begun off U.S. 70 and Birch Creek Road on the $400 million project that will bring some 1,000 jobs paying an average annual salary of $44,000.
Read more and check out photos from the groundbreaking here.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: Man killed, another hurt after shooting at east Charlotte apartment complex
- Coronavirus live updates: 5 more people die in Italy; 1,576 new cases in 24 hours
- Publix breaks ground on $400M distribution center in NC
- FORECAST: Sunny skies, warm temps pave way for rainy workweek
- 6-year-old girl hit by pickup truck while waiting for school bus in Lancaster County dies at hospital
© 2020 Cox Media Group