CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police have classified a shooting that left one man dead and another injured at an east Charlotte apartment complex in March as a “justified homicide.”
The shooting happened at the East Park Apartments on Burner Drive.
When officers got to the apartment complex, they found two men with gunshot wounds. MEDIC took both victims to the hospital with serious injuries.
Police said one of the victims, identified as 47-year-old Reyno Leocadio Melgar, died at the hospital and the second man who was shot is expected to be OK.
“Our thoughts go out to the family in this situation. We ask for the community to also think about those families when they consider whether or not to provide us information," said Maj. Mike Campagna, with Charlotte-Mecklenburg police.
Authorities have not said what led up to the shooting. After the shooting, officers said no arrests were made and they were not actively looking for anyone.
Months later, CMPD declared the shooting as a “justified homicide,” but did not give an explanation why.
Authorities said the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s Office reviewed the case and agreed with CMPD’s decision to not charge anyone.
No other information has been released.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: Man killed, another hurt after shooting at east Charlotte apartment complex
- Coronavirus live updates: 5 more people die in Italy; 1,576 new cases in 24 hours
- Publix breaks ground on $400M distribution center in NC
- FORECAST: Sunny skies, warm temps pave way for rainy workweek
- 6-year-old girl hit by pickup truck while waiting for school bus in Lancaster County dies at hospital
© 2020 Cox Media Group