SALISBURY, N.C. — Salisbury police are searching for a man who they said left a 1-year-old in a car for an hour while he went to the gym.
Keiyenne Hijin, also known as Geoffrey Roberson, is wanted for misdemeanor child abuse.
Officers were called on Feb. 3 to the Planet Fitness parking lot on West Jake Alexander Boulevard in reference to a child being left in a vehicle.
A witness heard a child crying, looked in the car and found the 1-year-old in the backseat, police said. Police said that the doors were unlocked, the window was partially open and the keys were in the ignition. The car had been parked at the gym for over an hour, according to police.
Officers located Hijin, who was working out in the Planet Fitness. It’s not clear why police let him go at the time.
Channel 9 went to the suspect’s home and his mother answered the door.
She said the child was safe with her and it was an accident.
Channel 9 also spoke with a manager at Planet Fitness who said he was working when the incident happened. He said two members noticed the child, called police and they waited with the child until authorities arrived.
The Department of Social Services was notified, and a warrant was issued.
Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Hijin are asked to contact Salisbury Police at 704-638-5333 or Crime Stoppers at 1-866-639-5245.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Stranger intervenes after distraught man can't afford child's $749 airline ticket
- CMS student hit by car while waiting at school bus stop
- Suspect in mom's decapitation sounded calm in 911 recordings
- Lowell police officer pleads guilty to impregnating 14-year-old
- Storms roll through Friday morning; snow chance this weekend
- VIDEO: 2 people rushed to hospital after being burned in Charlotte house fire
Cox Media Group