NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. — A 42-year-old Delaware man is being treated after he says he was bitten by a shark off the South Carolina coast.
A spokesman for the city of North Myrtle Beach, Pat Dowling, tells news outlets the man was bitten on the foot Tuesday afternoon by what the man said was a shark between 3 feet and 5 feet long.
The unidentified man told officials he had been floating on his back when he was bitten.
Dowling says the man had puncture wounds on his foot and he was bleeding.
John Williford of Roxboro, North Carolina, says he and a nearby lifeguard helped the man as he ran out of the water.
There were more than a dozen shark attacks off the coast of the Carolinas last summer, including one case where a 12-year-old girl had to be fitted with a prosthetic after her arm was bitten off.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Ohio resident dead from suspected amebic infection visited Whitewater Center, health officials say
- Landscaping company dropped after assault involving NASCAR veteran
- Man bit by shark while swimming at North Myrtle Beach
- Troopers: Speed factor in crash that killed father, son in Caldwell Co.
- Salisbury police searching for woman accused of killing mother of 4
Cox Media Group