BOONE, N.C. - Nearly six years ago, an 11-year-old boy died from carbon monoxide poisoning after staying at a Boone Hotel.
Now, there is a $100,000 settlement in a state lawsuit over his death.
Jeffrey Williams' parents said the state did not properly inspect the Best Western.
They also said the state did not warn people that just two months before Daryl and Shirley Jenkins died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the same room.
Investigators said an exhaust system was not installed properly and that allowed carbon monoxide to leak from the pool heater into the room.
- Family of 11-year-old boy killed by carbon monoxide files wrongful death suit
- Former Boone motel operator files lawsuit after charged in 3 deaths at Best Western in 2013
- Mother brings awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning
- Toxicology Test: 11-year-old died of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Hundreds gather for funeral of 11-year-old Boone hotel victim
- Investigators: Multiple deficiencies found in Boone hotel pool heater
- Mom determined to protect others after her son died in Boone hotel
- Family of 11-year-old boy killed by CO poisoning shares story
The state attorney general's office announced Tuesday the state came to a $100,000 settlement with the Williams family.
Last year, they received $12 million for their wrongful death lawsuit against Best Western and Hotel Management.
Additionally, the Williams family set up a foundation in Jeffrey's name, to keep his memory alive. His mother Jeannie raises money and gives away carbon monoxide detectors to hotels, restaurants, and dorms across the country.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Police: 2 women sexually assaulted transgender woman in NC bathroom
- Former officer sues city, says CMPD defended officer who slandered him
- Pineville police chase ends with car taking out power pole in Charlotte
- WATCH: Meteorologist Keith Monday's Wednesday forecast outlook
- State reaches $100K settlement in boy's carbon monoxide poisoning death at Boone hotel
© 2019 Cox Media Group.