CHEROKEE COUNTY, S.C. — Most lanes of Interstate 85 are open again after a deadly fiery crash in the southbound lanes near the North Carolina/South Carolina state line.
The wreck happened at about 8:16 p.m. Tuesday, near mile marker 106, north of Blacksburg in Cherokee County.
According to the Cherokee County coroner, the crash involved two tractor-trailers. One driver was headed northbound and crossed into the median, clipped a cable barrier and drove into southbound traffic.
The big rig T-boned another tractor-trailer and caught fire, officials said.
A witness pulled a driver and passenger out of one truck, but the other driver died.
“The victim was burned beyond recognition. I will rely on dental records for identification,” Fowler said.
An autopsy will be performed Wednesday.
Fowler said it was unknown what caused the driver to cross into oncoming traffic.
The SCDOT said that the northbound lanes of I-85 were moving just after 1:30 a.m. Wednesday.
One southbound lane will remain closed during cleanup and is not expected to reopen until Wednesday night.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Top House GOP leader shot at congressional baseball practice
- Lincoln Co. woman says nail salon denied service due to her weight
- VIDEO: Massive fire engulfs London high-rise building
- I-85 partially reopened after deadly crash involving 2 tractor-trailers
- Caldwell County nursing home issued suspension after violations found
- WATCH: Vicki Graf and Christine Rapp's forecast outlook
Cox Media Group