Two men accused of breaking into Union County chief deputy's home in custody

UNION COUNTY, N.C. — Two men suspected of breaking into the home of a Union County chief deputy have been caught thanks to the quick thinking of an auto mechanic.

Chris Summerfield said he was working Saturday at Summerfield Tire and Service in Waxhaw when the two suspects, Anthony Fisher, 28, and Quadarius Mickerson, 20, walked up. They asked to use the phone and for a ride to Charlotte, Summerfield said.

"I told them I couldn't let them use my phone," Summerfield said.

He said something felt wrong about the encounter and remembered his mother told him the night before about a manhunt in the area.

"I pulled around and I asked one of the other techs if they know the description of the guys running. He said one was 5 feet 11 inches and the other was 5 feet 6 inches. I thought that's got to be them," Summerfield said.

He called 911 and said officers arrived quickly. They took Fisher into custody, but Mickerson ran off.

Mickerson was later caught at a convenience store in Waxhaw.

Both men are under felony charges of breaking and entering, conspiracy, and larceny of breaking and entering. There are more charges to come, officials said.

Fisher and Mickerson are accused of breaking into Chief Deputy Todd Elmore’s home Friday.

Elmore’s wife was home during the break-in, but was not hurt. Officials confirm a firearm was stolen.

The two men fled the house when Elmore's wife saw them, officials said.

The pair, who are from Charlotte, sped away in an SUV and crashed it on Billy Howey Road near New Town Road.

Friday evening, investigators sorted through property recovered from the SUV, and believe the vehicle could be linked to additional home break-ins in the Waxhaw area.

Officials believe the deputy's home was not specifically targeted.

Investigators searched for the suspects near New Town Elementary School on Waxhaw Indian Trail Road.

The school was on lockdown for three hours during the search. 

Hundreds of parents showed up at the school after the 2 p.m. dismissal time was delayed until 5 p.m.

“What if they got in the school?” one parent said about the suspects. "It’s nerve-wracking.”

The Sheriff's Office warned residents to secure their doors and call 911 if they saw the men.

A deputy was injured in a crash when he responded to the breaking and entering call. Learn more here.

Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:

Comments on this article