WILMINGTON, N.C. - A busy roadway in Wilmington was closed Tuesday morning after drivers spotted an unexpected visitor.
A large alligator could be seen walking along the road near the Martin Luther King Jr. overpass and lying on the sidewalk in the shade.
Officials said McRae Street and Cornelius Harnett Drive were temporarily closed while the alligator was in the road.
Officers called North Carolina Wildlife personnel to the scene, but the alligator went back into a nearby creek before they could get to it.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- 'She was so young': Family mourns Union County teen killed by father
- 'We heard this big boom': Man fires gun inside CVS during hold up
- NC 9-year-old shot, killed in car was on the way to get snow cone
- Woman killed in Highway 74 crash remembered as 'warm, kindhearted'
- FORECAST: Heat holds on ahead of afternoon showers, evening downpours
© 2019 Cox Media Group.