CHARLOTTE, N.C. — There are many events this weekend honoring the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
More than 1,000 people in Charlotte came to find ways to help their community, to honor a man whose legacy embodies compassion, equity and service to others.
“It too brings people from all across the community together and gives them actionable things they can be doing for their fellow man,” said a volunteer.
The United Way’s call to service connected volunteers with service projects like making blankets for the needy and writing more than 5,000 Valentine’s Day cards for the elderly and homeless.
“Send them a message of love and hope to know they are not forgotten,” said TaWanda Robbins, with Love in Action.
There were also several educational opportunities, including a poverty simulator.
The simulator provides an insight into the situations people in the community find themselves in.
“I was just watching what they would do, and one of my children decided to keep all of the technology but they wouldn’t have any health care. It was interesting to see what was important to them,” said Rachelle Flowers, with Park Church.
The United Way said if someone is looking to make a difference in the community and missed the event Saturday, they can go to its website to get connected with a service project.
“It’s energizing, really, because it’s something people have in their heart that they want to give back and just to be able to provide them the opportunity to do that and they grab it with both hands, that’s huge,” said Flowers.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- ‘She could do it again’: Serial nursing home killer released, moves to Fort Mill
- Man accused of kidnapping NC woman, holding her for sexual servitude
- WATCH: Surveillance video shows destruction, power of EF-2 tornado hitting SC high school
- WARNING GRAPHIC: Boy’s face slashed with razor after fight at Charlotte middle school
- Police: 5 teens accused of stealing car with AK-47 inside from west Charlotte gas station
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group