BOONE, N.C. — Attorneys say the family of a boy who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a Boone Best Western hotel in 2013 has agreed to settle wrongful death and injury lawsuits.
The family's attorneys said Monday that they agreed to settle the suits against the hotel chain and other parties for $12 million.
Jeffrey Williams died from carbon monoxide leaking from a swimming pool heating system. His mother, Jeannie Williams, suffered serious injuries.
Daryl and Shirley Jenkins had died in the same room six weeks earlier, but officials didn't immediately identify carbon monoxide as the cause of death.
A Best Western spokeswoman said the chain denies liability but has thoughts and prayers for the family and friends of those affected.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- Driver killed when turkey truck crashes, catches fire in Union County
- North Carolina man still missing after ransom demand
- Broken water main shoots geyser 25 feet in air, flooding home
- WATCH: Keith Monday's Tuesday forecast outlook
- 6-year-old North Carolina girl dies three days after flu diagnosis
- Thousands gather to honor slain York County Det. Mike Doty