ROAN MOUNTAIN, Tenn. - Authorities in Tennessee say they've discovered a body along the Appalachian Trail.
The Carter County Sheriff's office said in a Monday release that they found a man's body in the Carver's Gap area of the trail. The area falls along the North Carolina and Tennessee border near Roan Mountain.
News outlets report investigators are still working to identify the man and his cause of death.
The sheriff's office says the body will be sent for an autopsy.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
- TRACKING DORIAN: Deadly Category 3 storm relentlessly pounds Bahamas
- Gov. McMaster: Evacuation going well as Dorian threatens SC
- 2 high school students dead, 2 more hurt after car crashes into tree
- FORECAST: Clear and hot Tuesday; Dorian remains nearly stationary
- 'Without them, I would feel lost': Ordinance leaves rescue horses' fate in jeopardy
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.